Thursday, February 28, 2013

FFWD - Chicken Breasts Diable

What a great way to make a chicken breast gourmet!  I had to laugh when I read that diable is the French word for devil!  I have a memory from a trip to Paris.... We went shopping in and around Paris and went into this tiny store MAILLE selling all things mustard!!  It really is a small store and I must have spent at least an hour trying to decide what to buy!!!  (My sweet husband was starting to loose patience with me :-)  I couldn't decide on which mustard to buy... I would pick things up and this is where I got into TROUBLE... they had a vinaigrette that I was looking at ... it was separated...my impulse was to SHAKE it up...so I DID...and the store keeper ran over to me and scolded me...DO NOT SHAKE!!  I will never forget it....but it is a MEMORY and every time I look at Maille Dijon Mustard I remember being scolded!!!  That was a very devilish sales girl....

But this recipe was delish....

 

Easy...cook your chicken pieces into a mixture of butter and oil.  Brown on both sides.  Then make a delicious sauce of shallot, garlic, white wine, and heavy cream and the devilish ingredient DIJON MUSTARD!!!  It all turned out to be this really yummy sauce!!!

I served this with a dish that the FRENCH FRIDAY WITH DORIE group had already done last year that I hadn't done yet...  Garlicky Crumb Coated Broccoli (page 334 in the book)!

It was another fast easy dish... and so good!!!!  Simple ingredients...broccoli, butter, garlic, bread crumbs, and parsley.
 
It really was the perfect dish to go with Chicken Breasts Diable!
 
Here is my sweet mustard jar from my shopping trip in Paris....I love it....BUT just to get back at that devilish sales girl....I keep salt in my mustard jar!!!! 
 

17 comments:

  1. LOL - and I have also spent AGES at the Maille store in Paris and the original one in Dijon - LOVE that place. Nice dish this week, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute mustard jar and great story! Your chicken looks picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute jar. Well worth being scolded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice jar! I have a slightly different one from the Maille store in Dijon. This was such a wonderful dish. Can't wait to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mustard jar. This was a delicious dish. Your presentation was lovely. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mustard jar is gorgeous and I love your story about the devilish salesperson. The broccoli is fantastic and I bet it was perfect with this chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need a trip to Paris just to buy some mustard!
    Cute story and very devilish of you to keep salt in the mustard jar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post. And I want that jar. Nana and I have been to that shop- I believe I know the exact one(although they have more than one around :) It is a few blocks from the Louvre- I think near a Laduree as well. Nana and I have bought many little mustards there because we get caught up in it all. Nevermind that some I could probably now buy in Wegmans down the street :) You can even refill their bigger crocks and we joke about when we run out it means we need to go back !!We enjoyed this dish big time but that Trader Joe's mustard killed us- whoa. A bit too diable. Will tone it down with Maille next time. And ps- I got yelled at in Pierre Herme for taking pictures. Mortified. Since I was doing nothing but standing in line (that is all you could do in the closet of a store)I thought they would appreciate my great use of time. Not so much. I almost choked on the macaroon when I finally got it. ALMOST.......:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear. I can think of nothing worse than to be scolded by a Paris frenchman. I know the store and when I go back I will give them a piece of my mind for giving you nightmares. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed the Maille shop in Paris! Just means I need to go back. And I'll try to behave...I'm sure I'd have the urge to shake the vinaigrette, too :) Your meal looks wonderful!!!

    PS...thanks for your kind note...much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol what a cute story! and something to keep in mind if I ever go to Paris! ;) Isn't this a lovely dish? It was a bit of a surprise for me, as mustard's not my thing, but I'm so glad I tried it! Very nice, indeed. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny story! It reminds me of a time when my son and nephew were in a store and there was a cap gun. Well, what boy wouldn't test out the firing mechanism?! When they pulled the trigger, the sales lady ran and scolded them for doing that! Oh, brother!
    Your chicken looks yummy and so does the broccoli dish Dorie recommended. I'll have to try that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tricia and Kendra, consider it a badge of honor to have been berated by a French "vendeuse". I have been in a museum or two where my flash went off unexpectedly (who the hell knows how to shut off their flash on a point-and-shoot - if I knew how to be camera proficient I wouldn't own a point-or-shoot) and I have received the evil eye. I always thought they were right, I was wrong, so I no longer take inside pictures, I just buy postcards! You were on a mission of goodwill, shaking that dressing, so you deserved better than a scolding. I have never been to a MAILLE store in Paris, or, anywhere, but would love to visit one. Loved this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that crock. this is a new favorite dish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was a fab dish, wasn't it. Your little mustard pot is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Salt in the mustard pot! That's great! I have a little pot from there too- but mine is sitting in the cupboard. I wonder how the girl would have mixed the vinaigrette. I would have shaken it too! Glad to know now for next time! Your dish looks great and the broccoli looks like a perfect side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can you imagine an American clerk doing that??? This was good wasn't it, and I don't like mustard!!

    ReplyDelete