Friday, April 19, 2013

FFWD - Cod and Spinach Roulades

This was a very interesting dish!  I was not sure what to think about a fish mousse!!  I am glad I made it because it was definitely out of my comfort zone.  I love using preserved lemons, they always add so much to  whatever you are using them in.  They were delicious in the tomato sauce and the spinach filling.  The dish had a few steps ... but every thing came together pretty easy.



 Started out making the tomato sauce.  Cook tomatoes and garlic in a little butter until the tomatoes were softened.
 Next puree them and then add the preserved lemon.

 The filling was spinach, finely chopped onion, and garlic.  Cooked until spinach wilts and softens.
 OK ... this is the weird part ... cod cut up into small chunks, 2 large egg whites, and cold heavy cream.  Mix it a food processor until it looks like mousse!

 Then spread a quarter of your mouse mixture on plastic wrap...

 Add a fourth of your spinach mixture down the middle and roll up!

 Place your rolled roulades into a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes.

And the finished meal ...  It was very tasty but I think it might end up being one of those things I make only once!

The recipe can be found in the cookbook Around My French Table on page 292-293 by Dorie Greenspan.

11 comments:

  1. I am so glad Dorie introduced me to preserved lemons! I love them, too! Excellent job on the roulades, Kendra...have a lovely weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the tomato sauce, yours makes me hungry looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the first, but definitely not the last, time I used preserved lemons. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way out of my comfort zone too, but that's what I liked about it. I definitely will not be repeating it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't enjoy eating this, but I am glad that I gave it a try. It's an interesting technique, and I'm wondering if it would work with something else. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you tried this - I loved learning this technique and I even quite liked the actual dish (since I don't really eat fish…). Nice step by step pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something to pushing your comfort zone. I guess mine got pushed enough with the baking projects we've had lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kendra, Your last line echoed mine! I enjoyed learning the technique, and this dish was surprisingly good…but I’m sure this will be the last time I make a mousse out of my fish!!
    Your process photos are very good, and your roulade looks perfectly wonderful! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cudos to you for making the sauce as well. Like you, I thought this was OK, but it is not a repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great, Kendra. I love how your fish contrasts with the rosy sauce. I'll have to try this with the sauce another time. Yours looks just gorgeous. I made mine with a plainer sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was very tasty, wasn't it?
    I wish that I had some preserved lemons on hand when I made this - I sounds like it would have a been really lovely addition.

    ReplyDelete