Sunday, January 27, 2013

FFWD - Shrimp and Cellophane Noodles

I'll start out saying we liked this!  Reading all the other reviews I was a little scared to make this!  But I had already bought all the unusual ingredients!  Did anyone else have a hard time finding Chinese Tree Ear mushrooms?  I couldn't find them and ended up buying Black Fungus mushrooms, I think they are the same?!  The name and looks were a little intimidating, the taste was almost none.  
Soaking the dried muschroom.
Cellophane noodle soaking - first time I have ever used these! 
 
Mushrooms after soaking - they really opened up a lot!
I am glad I tried this dish and I did stick to the recipe.  Will I make it again??  Probably not...But it's fun to try new things like black fungus and cellophane noodles! 
 
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. It was interesting but we did not like it at all. I had checked the ingredients awhile back so I was able to order the mushrooms online from I-Gourmet. I knew we did not need too much so I had planned to share them Tricia.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - trying new ingredients is fun :-)
    We ended up using a mushroom blend -fresh mushrooms. Those tree ears were no where to be found in my neck of the woods and I wasn't up to an hour drive to the city to find them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black fungus and tree ear mushrooms are the same. I decided to use a mix of wild mushrooms instead (and skip the tomato). This one might go down as the least favourite recipe in the group...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fun to try new things, even if they don't make it to the "make again" list. Your dish does look great though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree too. Both that trying new ingredients is fun AND that this was probably the least favorite recipe for the group so far. I definitely won't be making this one again, though I might try one of the Dorista's variations that looked more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope! Not a fav here either. Those who left out the puree took the right step. But you are right about using the different ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt the same way...it was good but not good enough to make again :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trying something new is a good thing….as long as you like what is going into it!
    I made a bunch of changes to this dish and it was good…just not sure if I would make it again! The tomato puree just didn’t sound like it belonged! Glad I left it out!

    ReplyDelete